UH60 vs. 171sh.

UH60 vs. 171sh.
"Capt. Martin" poses in front of his blackhawk enroute from Germany to Kosovo October 2009.

Monday, February 22, 2010

Ironman Journey

I signed up for the Louisville Ironman (August 28th, 2010 - the day after my sweet Mother's 60th birthday) in August of 2009 and have been ... pondering on it.

How in the WORLD am I going to train for this thing, seeing as how I am limited in my "training" opportunities
At my disposal I have:
-a stationary bike straight out of the 1980's
-a running loop that is no greater than 5 miles long OR the endless hamster race on the treadmill - -to top it off, no access to a swimming pool. period.
NOTE: I will have approximately 3 weeks post-deployment to both get into a 25yard pool as well as start pedal cranking on my ACTUAL bike - though 3 weeks doesn't sound like a very long time to prep for an ironman distance event. 2.4 mile swim/112 mile bike/26.2 mile run. yay.

Thankfully I HAVE completed a triathlon before, but probably makes it all the more laughable seeing as how it was a sprint Tri back in 2005.

Anyway, I'm prepping my plan as I type... trying to get motivated and coming up with creative ways to get ready for this beast.

So far, I've got blank monthly calendars printed for March thru August to fill in what I HOPE to accomplish 6 days a week. I would like to backwards plan this thing to ensure I meet my goal... but am still researching that.

I've also printed out a little picture of the Ironman logo to hang up on my door to remind me of my stupidity... I mean my goal of accomplishing this thing at the conclusion of my year-long deployment to wonderful, sunny Kosovo.

Several of the guys in my unit know I've started this endeavor and are being supportive - ie. making fun of me and ridiculing me for how little I'm actually training. it's great.

more to follow.

2 comments:

  1. Steven,

    Found your blog via Nicole's facebook page. An ironman, eh? That's awesome! Hard to believe the tri for sight was five years ago. I'll try to keep up with you during your IM training. Good luck!

    -Dave Altmaier

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave! I figured now was the best time to do it... where I could devote 10 to 15 hours a week training for it rather than at home when everything is competing for my attention (:

    ReplyDelete