UH60 vs. 171sh.

UH60 vs. 171sh.
"Capt. Martin" poses in front of his blackhawk enroute from Germany to Kosovo October 2009.

Monday, March 8, 2010

NVG Checkride

1 checkride down... 1 to go. I just took my Night Vision Goggle Checkride (imagine flying at night, looking only thru the hole in a toilet paper roll).

In a few days, I've got my instrument checkride OR whenever the weather allows...

We started at 6pm and ended everything (oral evaluation & flight included) around 2:30am.

During my NVG checkride, I had all my radio switches turned down, had the guy next to me flying like he'd never been in a helichopper before, went simulated inadvertant IMC (instrument meteorological conditions) or accidently flying into the clouds - did a bunch of simulated emergency procedures - screwed up a lot of things and answered a lot of questions wrong... but it's not a real checkride until you've decided you failed it.

I passed. (:

In other news... yesterday was mid-50's and beautiful. Today: looks like we're in a Christmas snow globe. There's several inches of snow on the ground and it's still coming down. Pretty, really... but still represents the fact that we're not out of winter yet (sigh).

No comments:

Post a Comment